Your home is your pride and joy, and giving it a fresh coat of paint enhances its curb appeal and protects it from the elements. In Georgia, Cedar siding homes are prevalent, especially in north metro Atlanta, and can be beautifully transformed with the help of fresh coats of paint. That said, the process is different from Hardiplank or other types of siding. Let’s dig into the best products for Cedar siding and what you can expect during your exterior painting project.
Why Cedar Siding Shines with the Right Paint
Cedar siding is popular among homeowners due to its natural beauty, durability, and resistance to pests and decay. But even the sturdiest cedar needs protection from the sun, rain, and other harsh weather conditions. That’s where a professional exterior paint job comes into play. A well-executed paint job not only shields your home from the outdoor elements but also showcases its unique grain and texture, adding character to your neighborhood.
The Best Products for Cedar Siding
When it comes to painting your cedar siding home, selecting the right products is crucial for achieving long-lasting results. Here are some top-notch options we recommend:
- High-Quality Solid Stain: Look for premium acrylic latex stains that are specially formulated for exterior use. These coatings offer excellent adhesion, durability, and color retention. They also provide a flexible finish, ideal for cedar siding, which expands and contracts with temperature fluctuations.
- Stains and Sealants: If you wish to retain the natural appearance of your cedar siding, consider using semi-transparent or transparent stains. These products allow the wood’s grain to show through while providing essential protection. Opt for semi-solid stains for more pronounced color changes while preserving the wood’s texture. And if you desire a more opaque finish, solid-color stains or paints are the way to go.
- Primer/Paint: A high-quality primer designed for cedar siding is essential before a paint can be applied. It helps the paint adhere better and ensures a smoother, more even finish. The difference between a paint and solid stain is that a solid stain is self-priming and comes only in a flat/matte sheen. A paint will have a variety of sheens to choose from but will require an additional step.
- UV Protection: The sun’s rays can be harsh on cedar, causing the wood to fade over time. Choose products with UV protection to shield your home and keep it looking vibrant for years to come.
What to Expect During Your Exterior Painting Project
Scheduling an exterior painting project is exciting, but setting realistic expectations is essential. Here’s what you can anticipate during the process:
- Preparation: Our team will meticulously prepare your home for painting. This includes power washing the siding to remove dirt and mildew, scraping off loose paint, and sanding rough areas. We’ll also cover and protect areas like decking and landscaping to ensure no paint splatters.
- Repairs: Before painting, we’ll inspect your cedar siding for any signs of damage or rot. Any issues will be addressed and repaired to maintain the integrity of your home’s structure.
- Priming: To ensure the paint adheres properly to the siding and lasts longer, a coat of primer will first be applied to the siding if a paint is chosen instead of a solid stain.
- Choosing Colors: Picking the right color can be daunting. If you need help selecting the best color, a color expert (at Sherwin-Williams, Behr, or any other paint store) can help you choose a shade that complements your home’s architecture and fits well within the neighborhood’s aesthetic.
- Painting Process: Once all preparations are complete, the painting process begins. Whether you opt for solid colors, semi-transparent stains, or anything in between, our skilled team of painters will apply the products with precision and care.
- Drying Time: Patience is key when it comes to exterior painting. The drying time may vary depending on weather conditions and the products used. We recommend avoiding any contact with the freshly painted surfaces until they are fully dry.
- Cleanup: After the painting is complete, our team will ensure the area is clean and tidy. We’ll remove any debris, return furniture to its place, and leave your home looking pristine.
Transforming your cedar siding home with a fresh coat of paint is an investment that yields stunning results. With the right products and a professional painting company by your side, you can expect a beautiful and long-lasting finish that protects and enhances your home’s charm. So, if you’re considering an exterior painting project for your cedar siding home, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team of painting experts.